A Mummy MOT is a specialist postnatal Physiotherapy examination for women following both vaginal and caesarean deliveries. It will assess how your posture, pelvic floor muscles and stomach muscles are recovering after birth. And if they’re not, then we can provide you with exercises and treatment to help in your recovery and to return to exercise safely.
Following birth there are many changes to your body, up to half of all women experience weakness in both the abdominal muscles and pelvic floor muscles after pregnancy. This can cause instability or poor core strength leading to women developing pelvic pain, back pain or bladder, bowel and sexual dysfunction. These conditions do not have to be something you should just put up with as a result of having a baby. We can help!
When to come to see us?
It’s recommended that women have an initial assessment after their 6-8 week GP check, but we also treat women who gave birth years ago that may still have a dysfunctional tummy gap or related pelvic floor issues.
The examinationis a 1-hour assessment, including;
• Full postural screen
• Pelvic floor muscle assessment
• Abdominal muscle exam to check for any separation-measurement with Real-Time Ultrasound (optional)
• Screening for any bladder, bowel or sexual dysfunction
• Commence restorative exercise/lifestyle program
• Education and advice on safer baby-care activities such as lifting your baby or pushing a buggy
• Bespoke rehabilitation programme with your goals and lifestyle factors in mind
• Written report of the findings of your assessment
• Option to book onto a ‘fit floor and core’ or Pilates class and meet other new mums
• Ongoing Gynaecology referral at discounted rate, if needed, for more complex cases
Katy Winters is a specialist ‘Mummy MOT’ Physiotherapy Practitioner licenced to carry out assessments.
You will only see experienced, senior Physiotherapists – guaranteed!
How much is this service?
Initial assessment and treatment – £100.00
Follow up sessions – To be discussed, packages available
For more information or to book a Mummy MOT please call our friendly reception team on 01706 819464